The Teessiders headed for the Championship curtain call knowing a further point would ensure safety regardless of other results – as well as potential points deductions elsewhere and any other post-season permutations.

And Boro did the business on the night, claiming a late victory which is our fourth on the road in five away games under Neil Warnock.

We started brightly in South Yorkshire, with a strike force of Britt Assombalonga and Ashley Fletcher causing problems for the Wednesday backline.

It was Fletcher’s quick-thinking that carved out the first opportunity, a swiftly-taken throw-in to his strike partner making space for Paddy McNair, who thundered his strike off the inside of the post.

But the Owls then took the lead with their maiden chance in the contest. Jacob Murphy, twin brother of Josh who scored twice against Boro for Cardiff at the weekend, saw a speculative effort spin wickedly off George Saville and beyond Dejan Stojanovic.

Boro did not let heads drop, though. Minutes after the restart, confusion in the Wednesday backline presented an opportunity to Fletcher, who stepped back to take the strike but fired straight at Joe Wildsmith.

George Saville then showed great resilience to emerge through a crowd of bodies and get a right-footed shot away, but once more Wildsmith was equal to it.

Soon after, Boro did bag a deserved equaliser. Owls midfielder Barry Bannan presented possession to Ashley Fletcher in the middle of the park, and was punished by an incisive Boro breakaway. Fletcher found Tavernier at the byline, who cut the ball back smartly to Paddy McNair – and the Northern Ireland international made no mistake with his second big opening of the game.

Fletcher was granted a glimpse of goal minutes into the second period, connecting well with McNair’s driven cross, but defender Dominic Iorfa stepped across with a crucial block.

As the second half wore on, the home side began to assert themselves, and looked the more likely to claim a winner.

Dael Fry was forced to nod past his own post with Connor Wickham lurking, and when the resulting corner was stabbed goalwards, Dejan Stojanovic was able to watch the ball onto his crossbar and over.

What followed was the clearest chance yet for the game’s third goal, Murphy dragging his shot inches wide after Iorfa had escaped the attentions of Marvin Johnson out wide.

But it would be Boro who claimed all three points in the dying embers, when Fletcher looped a perfect crossfield ball from the left to find his partner-in-crime Assombalonga.

The DR Congo forward put too much on the shot for Wildsmith to handle, and the ball bobbled in for a positive end to Boro’s season – Assombalonga moving level with Mark Viduka as the club’s top goalscorer since the turn of the millennium.